Last year our niece Stacey and boyfriend Craig came to visit us for the first time in the Correze.
They fell so in love with the place that they decided it would be an absolute dream to get married here.
They had been looking for the perfect place in the UK but couldn’t find their dream venue there.

So after asking around, we heard of this amazing place in one of the most beautiful villages in France.
The French owner doesn’t advertise this property and the was only the second wedding taking place at this venue.
It is pretty special and it was a day we will never forget.

If you wish to get married in France, you must get in touch directly with the mayor’s office of the town in which you wish to marry. You must also get in touch with your Consulate in France. French Consulate: 0207 073 1236  

Conditions: Minimum stay of one month in the town where the marriage will take place in France : Proof of residence will be required. Minimum age of 18 years old for a man and 15 years old for a woman. The future husband and wife must give their consent : Minors under 18 years of age must produce a written consent of both parents or their legal guardian. If the parents or guardians are not resident in France, their signature should be witnessed by a French Consular Officer. The future husband and wife must not have any close family relationship or ties with each other.  

Documents Required  

1 – Birth certificate : It will be necessary to provide the “certified copy of an entry” (the full version with the names of the parents) with a translation. It is necessary to go through a British translator then with the Legalisation Office of  The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London (see

2 – Prenuptial medical certificate : this certificate can be obtained from the following organisations : a GP in France French Dispensary: 6 Osnaburgh Street, London NW1 3DH Tel : 0207 388 32 15 Medicare Centre: 3 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JJ Tel : 0207 370 49 99  

3 – A solicitor’s certificate : this certificate is necessary if the future couple has entered into a marriage contract. In the absence of any contract, the spouses will be subject to the law of the country in which they settle their first place of residence, according to the Hague Convention of 14th March 1978. However, since this appreciation can be subject to variations, it is recommended to refer to that convention for further details.

4 – Certificate of law = certificat de coutume. This certificate can be obtained from either the: Consular Division – Foreign and Commonwealth Office: 1 Palace Street LONDON SW1E 5HE Tel : 0207 008 0186 (from 9.30am to 12.30pm) Consular Section of the British Embassy 16 rue d’Anjou 75008 Paris Tel : 00 33 1 44 51 31 00  

5 – Declaration of forenames, surnames, occupation and residence of two witnesses,  

6 – Divorce judgement for divorcees : For British nationals : Decree Nisi Absolute with a translation in French (which can be legalised as well),  

7 – Death certificate of former spouse for widow or widower,  

8 – Certificate of capacity to marry = Certificat de célibat : This certificate is also known as “certificate of non-impediment”. It can be obtained from the town hall of the place of residence of the would-be British spouse.  (From Consulate website) However, you can also get married in a civil ceremony in your home country first and bring those documents with you when you come to France to have a wedding – You can indeed have a religious or symbolic ceremony in France after having gotten married in their home country.

Read more at: