Shop for Limoges Porcelain Most local factories sell items either directly on spot, or in shops in the city centre or in the outskirts. You’ll find a large choice of tableware, jewelry and decoration items. In the heart of Limoges, near Town Hall and its gorgeous porcelain fountain, Louis Blanc boulevard, also known as “porcelain boulevard” is a must as far as porcelain shopping goes. For porcelain straight from the factory, Le Pavillon de la Porcelaine is the shop of Havilland Limoges (Ave du Président Kennedy). More antiques shops cluster around Place de la Motte and along Rue de la Boucherie. Among them are Antiquités Michel Naudet (4 rue des Tanneries) and Antiquités Aubour Michel (8 Rue de la Boucherie). What you need to know: Limoges porcelain designates hard-paste porcelain produced by factories near the city of Limoges, France beginning in the late 18th century, but does not refer to a particular manufacturer. Limoges had strong antecedents in the production of decorative objects. The city was the most famous European centre of vitreous enamel production in the 12th century, and Limoges enamel was known as Opus de Limogia or Labor Limogiae. Limoges had also been the site of a minor industry producing plain faience earthenwares since the 1730s. The manufacturing of hard-paste porcelain at Limoges was established by Turgot in 1771 following the discovery of local supplies of kaolin and a material similar to petuntse in the economically distressed area at Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche, near Limoges. The materials, which were quarried beginning in 1768, were used to produce hard-paste porcelain similar to Chinese porcelain. The manufactory at Limoges was placed under the patronage of the comte d’Artois, brother of Louis XVI, and was later purchased by the King in 1784, apparently with the idea of producing hard-paste bodies for decoration at Sèvres, although this never happened. After the French Revolution a number of private factories were established at Limoges, including Bernardaud and Haviland & Co. Limoges maintains the position it established in the 19th century as the premier manufacturing city of porcelain in France.